Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pacifiers be gone!

We are now a pacifier free home! Parker and Penelope have used pacifiers from birth. In the beginning they were such a life saver and I was so grateful they took them. Penelope liked hers more but Parker also enjoyed a good suck! Just after they turned one we decided they could only use their pacifiers in their cribs. Since then they have only used them in their beds and it hasn't been a problem. But as time passed I knew I needed to take them away. However, I was worried about the effects on their lovely sleeping habits. As they passed the age of two I was afraid to take them away because I thought they might drop their nap and a lot of mornings I live for nap time! So I let them keep their pacifiers. Then we went to the dentist a few months ago and the dentist 'talked' to me about their pacifier use. He was really nice but essentially said they should probably not be using a pacifier. He could see some effects of the use in Penelope's mouth but not Parker which makes sense because Penelope LOVES her pacifier where as Parker just uses it because Penelope has one. This past weekend I was finally in a place where I was ready to attempt breaking the paci habit. So Friday we 'traded' their pacifiers for a new toy. Parker gave his up without looking back. Penelope started crying right after the trade but we distracted her with fruit snacks. That night Penelope cried for her pacifier but Parker didn't even ask once, he was too busy with his new train. I went in to the twins' room a couple times to help Penelope feel better but she fell asleep ok and they both slept the whole night without calling out for mommy! They woke up a little earlier than usual but after telling them it wasn't time to get up, they read books in their room until I was ready to get up with them. When we were getting ready for naps Penelope asked for her pacifier once but I just reminded her of the swap and she didn't say anything else. They both napped fine and neither one of them has mentioned the pacifier since! I'm so grateful it went so smoothly and so, so happy we are a pacifier free home! (Bless Oliver's heart for never taking to the pacifier!)

3 comments:

Presidential Players said...

That's awesome! Lincoln and Carter were both paci babies and I loved it when we were done with them! Now if I could just get Jackson off the thumb...

Kristen said...

I'm so glad it went smoothly for you. I was not looking forward to taking the pacifier away. Ashton is a horrible sleeper and I thought for sure it would get worse if I got rid of the pacifier. But.....it was the easiest thing we have had to change. I would have done it a long time ago if I knew it was going to be easier.

Now, you need to share your success with potty training.

katina said...

Yay!! Congratulations!! And I'm so glad they still nap!!